Friday, June 15, 2012

Damn you perfect Pinterest blog people!


Are you addicted to Pinterest?  Do you spend hours and hours every week looking on that website for adorable new ideas from photography to home décor to cooking to crafts with the kids?  It is filled with links to so many adorable blogs.  Blogs filled with pictures of perfect families and perfect homes that are actually cleaned (not just pictures of homes where toys were shoved off to the side and cropped out).  I hate those blogs. 
Seriously though, where are those people’s kids when they are doing all these cute crafty things?  I have about 1,249 DIY ideas that I want to one day work on, however, that one day won’t probably show up until I’m retired (AKA- my kids move out) and by then they will be completely outdated.    I can’t even shower alone, so how on earth does some expect me to get out a nail gun and a table saw?  That screams “trip to the ER” and missing body parts.

I finally decided to go through all of my pins and pick a project to take on; one that didn’t require any hand tools or much time.  I came across this pin:
Doesn't the picture just ook amazing?  Do you see even a speck of  water mark in tht sink?  Or maybe some dust on that window?  Grease on the back splash?  NOTHING, because these Pinterst bloggers are super-human creatures.

Cute, right?  I thought it would look nice next to my sink.  The blog is http://www.natalme.com/ and the author who is a mom of four kids and a photographer and a home décor guru and pretty much a person who will make you feel like crap because it’s two in the afternoon and you are still in your pajama’s and staring at dishes in the sink but looking through her blog envying her life.  Oh, you don’t ever do that?  Yeah, me neither.  And besides, if you click on the “About Me” tab you will realize she lives in Utah.  Which right way is a red flag that she is going to be pretty and crafty and amazing at blogging.  Don’t believe me?  Well if there was a Blogging Olympics, then Utah would win the gold medal every single year.
Alright, back on topic.  I went to Ikea and picked up a plate ($1) and a candlestick ($4) and two soap/lotion containers $6.  I then stopped by Lowe’s and grabbed some spray paint (the candlestick was originally black) and some heavy duty glue.  All of this sounds pretty easy, right?  WRONG.  The Ikea kids play area was filled, which meant I had to drag all three of my brats (I meant “boys”) through that enormous store all while screaming “DON’T TOUCH THAT” and “GET BACK HERE” and trying to smile at those who stared.  Then we had to repeat the same conversation at Lowe’s.  By the time I got home, I turned on the television for them and ran to the side of the house hoping they wouldn’t follow.

I quickly scraped up the candlestick with some sandpaper I “borrowed” from my husband’s garage (yes, he owns it).  I then sprayed the candlestick, waited for it to dry, and sprayed it again.  After all of that, I took a long break to stop a fight that broke out between the boys and a remote control and even made time to breastfeed the baby.  When my husband arrived home and the kids went to bed, I glued the plate to the candlestick.  24 hours later it was ready to go.  I threw a cloth napkin over the top (thank you Target clearance), put the soap bottles on it, and displayed it by my sink with pure satisfaction.  I FINALLY DID A PINTEREST PROJECT.
Here is my AMAZINGLY AWESOME soap dispenser platter-thingy:
I couldn't put mine by my sink or window because both are dirty and I didn't feel like cleaning them!

I might attempt a new project next year… maybe.


***DON'T FORGET TO FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK/TWITTER, FOLLOW THE LINK RIGHT OVER HERE ------------>

7 comments:

  1. lol I have gotten as far as buying the candlestick for this project and have yet to get the plate because I forgot about it when we went to IKEA. You are at least finished with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just grab a cheap plate at Target (skip the HUGE Ikea). It literally takes minutes (unless you have to spray paint) to finish. I promise, if I can complete it... you can too!

      Delete
  2. I cannot go on Pinterest for two reasons:
    1. I want to do everything and will do never find time for any of them. That will make me feel bad.
    and
    2. I wouldn't ever do anything else which means my fam would starve, I would be fired and I wouldn't have any friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you started to get addicted to Pinterest, I would still be your friend! Even if you were broke, living on the streets, and don't see your kids very often! ;) But, I bet that cardboard box would looks SO AWESOME!

      Delete
  3. OH but I have wanted to do this project since you first did it!!! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made some stuff..... and I bought some magnetized dry erase markers that I stick on my washing machine and write down what doesn't go in the dryer from the washing machine. When you hit 40 you have to write everything down! I learned that trick on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a cute idea! I will be honest, if something makes it into my washer then it goes into my dryer. I'm HORRIBLE at trying to pull things out and air dry. I've given up. However, maybe I will try this idea.

      I have had a "FAILED" Pinterest copy-cat moment. I bought these picture ledge/shelves for the nursery to put books on. They lasted less than a month. My boys climbed on them and pulled them out of the wall (just like Rich predicted). They looked cute, but were not functional with a house full of boys!

      Delete