Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Add a little LOVE to your home


Our trash is picked up in front of our home every Thursday, so Thursday mornings I take the “long way” out of the neighborhood to check and see if anyone is throwing out something that I may be able to use.  I know, dumpster diving is not very glamorous but I’ve been able to find some very cool things.

A few months back I came across an old pallet and decided to take it home.  After seeing all the adorable pallet ideas on Pinterest I knew that I could turn this into something.  And I did!
So, from this:


I turned it into this:


I took two slats off the pallet and attached them in the back with two paint stir sticks ( the kind you get free from Home Depot- cut to fit) and some heavy duty wood glue.  I then nailed in a sawtooth hanger (purchased at Home Depot).  Here is an example of the back:


Once that was done, I went online and looked at some ideas on how to write out “love” (thank you Pinterest… again).  I found one that I liked and I tried to copy it in pencil onto my pallet.  After it looked about right, I used some old white paint, an old kids paint brush, and traced it.  I didn’t care if it looked perfect or not, I think the fading in some areas and the brush strokes adds to the charm.

Out of pocket I maybe paid $5, but the majority of the items used were found (the pallet) or already in my garage (the paint). 

So now it hangs on my wall, surrounded by pictures of our family.  I smile every time I see it. 

Our blog is new... but will soon be filled with not only great things to do in Orange County, but also some home crafts/decor.  So make sure to follow us and come back often! 

No comments:

Post a Comment