Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Costeau Park in Laguna Hills


Costeu Park In Laguna Hills- big kids playstructure
Now that summer is right around the corner, I’m always looking for new parks to take my kids to.   My major requirement for a park is that it has to be entertaining enough that I can sit down and play at least two rounds of Words with Friends or Scrabble with Friends (yes, I’m an addict) without being rudely interrupted by one of my kids crying that they are bored! 

I recently stumbled upon the newly renovated Costeau Park in Laguna Hills.  I stopped by Wendy’s to pick up a few chicken sandwiches for the kids (off their $1 menu) and drove up the street to the park to have a nice afternoon picnic.  Located off of Alicia Park, close to the 5 FWY, and Costeau (hence the name) this park is hidden inside a residential home track with a huge amount of green open space which is perfect to lay out a nice blanket and enjoy our beautiful weather.

The park has a tree house theme play structure meant for older children, and a small play house area for the toddlers.  There are two separate sets of swings (toddler & big kids), a couple of spinner cups (my kids & I fell in LOVE with these), and even a covered sandbox.   

The only issues I had with this park is the location is not far off of the busy Alicia Parkway, the playground is thankfully in a safe location but make sure you keep an eye on the older kids if they decide to wander.  There were also no restrooms, my biggest pet peeve!  They put in water fountains to keep the kids hydrated, but no place for them to go potty.  Very frustrating when your kid holds off telling you that he needs to go potty until he cannot hold it any longer, and your running to grab the other kids and throw them in a car, only to then drive quickly to find a location that will allow you to use their restroom without having to purchase something!  I’m sure you all know exactly what I’m talking about.

But if I put aside those two small issues then this park was a major hit.  My older kids enjoyed themselves for hours, literally… hours!  This equaled many rounds of cell phone games, Facebook browsing, and some Craigslist shopping.  It’s a small park with a lot of charm. 

Next week the kids & I will be heading out to Pioneer Park in Tustin.  I’ll be bringing their bathing suits, a camera, and a notepad… promise to come back and review!

No comments:

Post a Comment