Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dinner for Two... bring your wallet (filled with LOTS of cash)



My husband and I got a date night this evening; I think it’s been about 10 years since that has happened.  We took a few gift cards that have been collecting dust in our cabinet and decided to finally try out the Nirvana Grille in Mission Viejo.  The grapevine has been telling me for years how amazing the food is, so we were excited to have a nice meal that didn’t require me searching online for a coupon or cutting a coupon out of an Entertainment book.

When we got to the restaurant it was located in the run down shopping center I get my $5 pizzas from (Little Caesars) and my cheap fruit (Ranch Market); not super high class.  When we walked into the restaurant I was surprised by the décor.  I was warned that the food was very expensive so imagine my surprise when I walked into a pretty bare restaurant with not much of an “ambiance”.  The walls had a couple of small white mirrors and some mounted white plates (not quite minimalist but not quite Denny’s); would be cute for a start up Ma and Pa establishment; however most of the meals were about $25 each.

We ordered an appetizer, salad, main course and dessert.  The appetizer was their Wild Mushroom Ravioli ($11); though it tasted great there were only three small ravioli’s on the plate.  So needless to say, I’ve been given a larger appetizer serving at the last wedding I attended held at the local community center.  The salad was a mixture of beets and citrus with some goat cheese ($10).  The salad was very plain with little to no dressing and was not really worth ordering.  When our main courses came out, they looked great.  My husband ordered the sirloin ($27) and I had the filet ($32).  Both tasted great and were cooked perfectly.  I personally really liked the corn that came with my husband sirloin (poor guy, I ate most of it).  The part that made me laugh: I was using an Ikea steak knife to cut into my $32 filet.
                                                                                                           
Desert was an interesting salty caramel mouse on top of coconut almond crust ($12).  It was really good, however, it was a tiny slice and in typical Nirvana Grille fashion… overpriced.  Our bill totaled $106 plus tip.  Ouch.  Thankfully we had my mother babysitting, because paying for a sitter would have seriously spent my whole monthly entertainment budget!    

This restaurant obviously doesn’t fall in the category of “freshly squeezed budget” living and though the food was overall pretty good, the price just didn’t add up.  If the bill was half, I would tell everyone about this place.  If the restaurant was amazing inside, I would tell my husband to take clients there.  But sadly, Nirvana Grille didn’t think about our pathetic economy or an interior designer when they opened.

My take on this place:  save your money and go some place that accepts coupons!  And if you decide to “splurge”, than make sure it has a gorgeous ocean view or at the very least seat cushions that aren’t ripped.

No comments:

Post a Comment