Thursday, August 2, 2012

Edible Gold Olympic Medals

Maybe I’ve told you this once or twice before, but I LOVE the Olympics.  Love them.  As I type this blog post I am parked in front of my television watching them, at 10pm, with a sink full of dishes!  I have dragged my kids into this weird obsession and now we are constantly figuring out ways to celebrate them in between commercial breaks.

Our latest idea came after watching the Fab 5 gymnastic girls win those awesome gold medals.  We saw them shine and sparkle around their necks on the podium and realized that we wanted our own; but better.  So how can anything be better than real gold (I know, they aren’t real gold but don’t tell my kids that)?  Edible gold!

Thing #2 (my odd little 4 year old) loves to make “shape cookies” (sugar cookies) so we decided to make up a batch and cut them into circles. 
He wasn't too happy I took this picture.  He was "working really hard and didn't want pictures". The life of a 4 year old!

After we took them out of the oven we frosted them in gold and added some ribbon (left over from the 4th of July).  We made edible gold medals.  Super easy, didn’t cost us anything since my cupboards are always stocked with baking ingredients needed to make cookies, and didn’t take up much time. 
Here is Thing #2, so proud of his medal.  He’s also holding the Olympic Torch craft we made the other day, which obviously completes the look (or at least that is what he insisted).

My Mr. Olympia- Thing #2
Now I’m off to find a big container of Tums, which serves me right for eating half of the raw dough and licking the frosting bowl clean.  You would think that my expanding waist would stop me from eating junk, but for some reason it doesn’t.  Fingers crossed that I come across a Groupon for liposuction soon!

Here is Keri’s recipe for Shape/Sugar Cookies and frosting (it’s our very favorite):

Dough
2 sticks of butter (room temp)
1.5 cups of white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla (clear if you have it)
1 teaspoon of almond extract
2.75 cups of flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt

Mix dry in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another.  Slowly put the dry in with the wet.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 6-7 minutes.

Frosting (do not double)
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter (room temp)
2 cups powder sugar
½ teaspoon of vanilla extract (clear if you have)
Pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons of milk or heavy cream (slowly put in and watch consistency, sometimes you need more or less)

Mix together & frost cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment