Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Semi-Homemade Biscuits & Gravy Recipe


My Semi-Homemade Biscuits & Gravy.


I have literally woken up at 2am and craved Biscuits & Gravy; sadly, I wasn’t pregnant.  There is something about this meal that makes my stomach rumble and my mouth water.  My love for biscuits that our smothered in gravy was been passed down to my children… and even my husband.  So needless to say, I make this often.

This is what you will need:

Biscuits (I often use the Pillsbury pop can type but you can also use Bisquick or be a show-off and make homemade biscuits.  One can is enough for my family with two small kids eating, but we will soon be upgrading to buying two cans.)

Sausages (I highly recommend buying the Farmer John sausage in the white package, the cheap ones, because they give you a lot of grease to help make the gravy.  You can also use bacon.)

Flour (about 3-4 TBSP)

Milk (a few cups)

Ground Pepper

Eggs (1-2 eggs per person)

Instructions:

First, you will want to cook your sausage in a large skillet.  Brown them up good and take them out of the pan and onto a napkin.  Leaving the burner on with all that yummy grease, add about 1-2TBSP of flour at a time.  You’re adding the flour as you stir trying to get a thick combination without burning it.  For “professional cooks” this is called a Roux.  I personally call it “thick greasy flour that will put 10 pounds on my butt”.  This part takes practice to get down perfect, the first couple of times you may not put enough flour or maybe put too much.  Over time you will figure out the perfect combination, but what you want is to make it thick. 

I forgot to take a picture of just the roux.  But you can get the idea of what it
should look like, it's that clump in the center
Once you have it thick, you will slowly start to add in the milk making sure to keep stirring as you add.  I usually put in about half a cup at a time and stir, then let it set for a few minutes to get thick again then add in more milk.  I repeat this process until I make enough gravy and I like the taste (1 package of sausage works for our family, but like the biscuits I will need to upgrade to two packages soon to make more gravy). 
This is an example on how I allow it to thicken
up (on med-low heat) before adding in more milk.
 When I’m happy with the amount/taste of gravy, I cut up the sausage and put it inside the gravy then add in ground pepper.  Pepper is the trick!  Anytime your gravy has too much of a flour taste or maybe not enough flavor… add pepper!
Add your cut up sausage to the gravy.
Now, throw those biscuits in the oven (following package for cooking instructions) and make sure to watch the time.  You don’t want to burn them.  While they are cooking, grab your eggs.  You will want to cook them sunny side up (don’t cook the egg yolk; you want it to be runny).
Perfect eggs, ready to be broken into. I use the oil method to cook them,
where you put a little bit of oil into the small pan then crack the egg inside.  Instead of flipping
the egg (which might break it) I take my spoon and just pour some of the hot oil over the top of the
egg white to cook it.  Pretty simple.
Put 1-2 eggs on each plate, take 2-3 biscuits and shred them up and put on top of the eggs, then go ahead and pour the gravy all over the top. 
Perfection!
Your family will be surprised when they break into the meal and get egg yolk,
but the surprise will be very welcomed because it is a delicious combination. 
This my friend, is the reason my husband still loves me.  I may not keep our house super clean, or teach our kids to behave like humans instead of wild animals… but I can make the best Biscuits & Gravy in all of Orange County!


**Don't forget to "like" us on Facebook or "follow us" on Twitter, I will be posting some of my deals that I come across, updating you on futures posts that I'm working on, and just writing about my crazy & hectic life.

Today I'm working on putting together a list of summer reading programs for the kids and working on a summer "bucket list", will explain this more soon.  So stick around,  you won't want to miss out.

No comments:

Post a Comment