Monday, June 4, 2012

Eating your way through Disneyland


Our family splurged last year and bought Disneyland passes (though this may not happen again due to the recent HUGE increase in price) as a way to “entertain” the kids on early out days and on some evenings when dad is working late.  The kids LOVE it, of course, and though I love it too there is something that I love about Disney that has nothing to do with their rides.  I’m all about their food!  Yes, I can admit it… I’m a Disneyland Fast-Food Junkie.  So, in an effort to bring everyone over to the dark side, I’ve decided to give you a tour on how you can gain 10 lbs in just one day!

 First stop… Corn Dogs



At the end of Main Street (next to the Mom’s Nursing Station on the right hand side) they have this awesome corn dog cart.  After you wait in the 20-30 minute line, you will pay your $6 (yes, it’s not cheap… this is Disneyland) and will be handed a not so pretty looking corn dog (with a bag or chips or apples).  Now, don’t be upset by the appearance, because you didn’t spend $6 because it’s pretty; you must taste the inside goodness.

The moment your teeth break through the thick layer of fried batter you will realize how heavenly it is.  The batter is perfectly crisp with just the right amount of oil (not too little that it’s dry and not too much that you’re going to wake up the next day broken out like a 15 year old) and the inside is incredibly soft and moist… and juicy.  It tastes like a plain doughnut wrapped around a hot dog then fried to perfection.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it. 

Second stop… Dole Whip



With only two places in the world that sell Dole Whips, this is more of an experience than anything else.  For about $5 you will be getting soft-serve pineapple ice cream that is served in a cup floating in pineapple juice (you can get it without the juice, which many prefer because it’s cheaper and you get more ice cream).  Doesn’t sound that interesting to you?  Well, try it first before you judge.  I love it as a special treat to share with the kids occasionally.

If you would like to check it out, you will find the 20-30 minute line right next to the Tiki Room.

Third stop… Mint Julep & Pommes Frites



My middle son loves the train, we can take that thing around the park a million times and it will never get old to him.  So I usually like to grab a treat that is close to one of the stops (in between bathroom breaks), that is where I found the Café Orleans (in the New Orleans area across from The Haunted Mansion). 

I lived in the south for some time and have often craved for a mint julep, but living in Orange County they are a little hard to come by.  Thank God for Disney!  Their version is mint mixed in with a little lime and is perfectly refreshing on a hot day.  And my son loves the cherry on top!



Now, you can’t just stop there.  You have to get the world’s best French fries!  No joke, they are mouth watering goodness.  Their Pommes Frites are tossed in parmesan, garlic, and parsley then served with Cajun Spice Remoulade (that is all of their menu description; in my words “they are KICK BUTT fries served with a KICK BUTT sauce).    

Fourth Stop… Cream Cheese Stuffed Pretzel


The description is exactly what you get; a pretzel that is stuffed with warm, soft, gooey cream cheese.  I’m not even a fan of cream cheese and yet while pregnant with my third son, I craved these every single week.  It’s the perfect combo of sweet, bready, with a little bit of salt.  Thankfully Disneyland knows how popular they are and sell that at a few pretzel carts throughout Disney and at the restaurant across from the corn dog stand.  It’s usually our last stop on our way home.

Fifth Stop... the best doughnut in ALL of Orange County


When you’ve stayed out late at Disney and you realize once you get in your car that you’re hungry for a treat; M&M’s Doughnuts is where you need to drive to.  Located a few miles west of Disney, this doughnut store is famous for their blueberry doughnut, their late hours, and their TWO hour line.  Not even joking, they actually limit how many you can buy (2 dozen) because the line is SO long. 

This may not be a place you visit every week, but if you’re looking to try the best doughnut in Orange County then you have to stop by M&M’s… and grab me some too, please!

  xxxxxxx

I feel 20 pounds heavier just writing this post.  I hope you enjoy.  If there is anything you love to eat at Disney, please let me know.  I’m always looking for new food to try!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Dole Whip Float. You and I will meet again some day. And then I shall sit any enjoy your perfect goodness thoroughly. I'm skipping the cream cheese pretzel and getting a Mickey Mouse shaped one though. Or possibly jalapeno. With that horrible/delicious neon orange cheese.

    ReplyDelete