Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day #2- Taking on Zion

We survived our first night of camping with three boys in one small tent.  I would be a liar if I said that it went perfectly… because “perfect” and my family DO NOT go hand in hand.  The boys talked, then fought, then cried, then screamed, then finally fell asleep.  The baby was not happy with the idea of not being in his room and in his crib and alone, far away from his fighting brothers.  But eventually, about five minutes before I almost packed up and left, they fell asleep.

The sun came up eventually and our snoring kids started to wake up, and so did their empty bellies.  So it was time for me to break out my first camping breakfast.  Since we had plans to go hiking in Zion, I thought about making a big meal. 

Camping Breakfast Rundown:

Bisquick Shake & Pour pancake mix (super easy)
Sausage (I precooked these, put them into a large Ziploc and kept cool in the ice chest. I then reheated in pan.)

Bacon (I cooked this in a pan because I wanted some grease for the eggs)

Eggs (cooked in a little bacon grease & milk)

Hashbrowns (These come dried in a small container bought at Costco, you just need to add water and let them sit for a few minutes then cook in pan.  They taste better than the frozen kind!)

Yes, that is Ketchup on my husband's eggs.  If I would have known that he ate his eggs that way I might have reconsidered my whole "I Do".  But, I love him... egg Ketchup and all.

After breakfast we packed all of the kids up and headed to Zion National Park.  Poor Brent (my #1 blog fan- HI BRENT!) and Keri, I made them stop every ten feet so I could get out and take pictures.  I was just amazed by the natural beauty (not very common in Orange County… he he he) of the rock formations.  Even my kids were engrossed by the scenery; I’m pretty sure there was no fighting for at least a good whole five minutes.
The Checkerboard Mesa in Zion
I just love the look of these rocks and red color!  Makes me want to go back.
We parked our cars in their lodge parking lot and caught the shuttle (my kids were very disappointed, when they heard it was a “shuttle” they assumed they were going to outer space) down to the trails.  I have no idea what trail we caught (I’m a bad blogger), but it was the last stop.  Thankfully it was paved and thankfully Keri brought a stroller (ours didn’t fit), so Thing #3 got to ride with shade instead of being carried on my back which alleviated a lot of sweat on my part.

After walking about 10-15 minutes, counting about 56 squirrels, stopping 10 times for water, screaming at kids about 30 times to slow down or speed up or stay on the trail, and reminding my husband that our kids were a reflection of my personality AND his even if he didn’t agree… we made it to the bottom of a small river.  The kids ran down the stairs, threw off their shoes, and decided to go crazy in the water.  By the look of the large swarm of people heading up the river (walking through it) there was something up further, but with 5 boys under 7… we decided to skip that part. 

The view during our hike
One of the MANY squirels the kids found.

Eventually we made our way back to the lodge, enjoyed some great ice cream and a packed lunch (thanks Keri) and just rested under a huge tree.  We drove through the outskirt town stores (overpriced) and then made it back to camp.  What came next?  Food (of course).

Camping Dinner

I premade some Beanies & Wienies (recipe to be posted at the end of this post), and just reheated

Corn (boiled in pan, once you get water boiling you turn off the heat and let them sit for about 10 minutes with the lid on)

Hot Dogs (everyone got to cook them over the campfire)

Cornbread (precooked and brought in Ziploc)
I'm craving a hot dog now, however, stove top cooked dogs are NOT the same.
Tasted mcuh better than how my picture makes it look.  Me = Bad Photographer

After we shoved our face with food we made our way to the pool.  The music was blasting, the water was cold, and the kids were having a great time.  It was a great start to our summer vacation and as the kids finally closed their eyes and fell asleep (after a LOT of reminding them to stop talking) we got to enjoy some good conversation, beautiful stars, and a sense of relaxation that I had been missing for so long.

Coming up next: Day #3 of our summer vacation- Bryce Canyon (A.MAY.ZING), my first polygamist spotting, and nighttime zip line fun!


I’m feeling very lonely on Facebook & Twitter.  I almost feel the need to type up some personal ad to attract possible suitors.  What do you think about this:

Young Not-middle aged (no matter what my driver’s license tells you) mother of three and wife to one, woman looking for friends on Facebook who are looking to laugh at my kids and my daily frustrations, listen to my random postings at 11pm when I can’t fall asleep and Chelsea Lately is a rerun, and my occasional cool ideas/tips/deals.  Not interested in your tips on how to lose weight for only $39.99 a month, your products on how to keep my husband’s erection to last any longer than it already does, nor your possible work-at-home jobs since I can’t even call to make a doctor’s appointment without immediately asking the receptionist to book me a walk-in appointment because my son’s head is gushing blood.

Do you think it will work?  I hope so!
 
That is my husband... that is Thing #2's hat... he threw it down the river when he got mad.  Yes, the life of a parent... it is SO much fun! 
Beanies & Wienies Recipe

½ onion
1-2 large cans (depending on how many beans you want) of Baked Beans
1 can Pinto Beans
½ bag froze Pineapple Tidbits (can find at Trader Joe’s) or 1 can of pineapple chunks (then chop)
4 tbsp. brown sugar (can add more if needed)
½- 2/3 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce
1-2 TBSP yellow mustard
1-2 packages (depending on how many you prefer) your favorite hot dogs

Sauté the onion in a large saucepan until soft.  Add in remaining ingredients and cook until fully heated.  Tastes good when served immediately or refrigerate/ freeze and reheat (also very good).

3 comments:

  1. At which Costco did you find the dried hash browns??? Mine stopped carrying them years ago and i've been looking for them everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had them at the Laguna Niguel Costco on Heather Ridge Dr. I'm going to go back and buy a LOT more. They were so good.

      Delete
  2. The trail at the end of the tram in Zion is Temple of Sinawava, sometimes called Entrance to the Narrows.

    ReplyDelete